Nutritional Bonus: One cup of brown rice provides you with 88 percent of your daily need for manganese. This trace mineral helps you produce energy from protein and carbohydrates and is involved in the synthesis of fatty acids, which are necessary for a healthy nervous system. Cooking in foil is quick and easy. See also Chicken with Peanut Sauce & Sweet Potatoes.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1/2 lb raw shrimp, 26/30 count, peeled and deveined, tail on
- 4 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 all-natural, low-sodium turkey sausage, sliced
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, stem and seeds removed and discarded, diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1 1/2 medium vine-ripe tomatoes, cored and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp salt-free Cajun seasoning
- 1 cup all-natural instant brown rice
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Black Pepper)
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together all ingredients except cooking spray, mixing well until combined.
- Prepare 2 foil pouches. Spray each piece of foil with cooking spray. Divide mixture evenly among both pieces of foil and seal.
- Place pouches on a baking tray and slide onto middle rack of preheated oven for 25 minutes or until rice and proteins are fully cooked. (NOTE: When cooked, rice will be soft and proteins will be firm and opaque.) To test for doneness, carefully open 1 pouch and taste a few grains of rice from the center of the pouch. If necessary, close pouch and return to oven for 5 more minutes.
- Carefully open pouch and pour mixture into a large serving bowl; serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups Cajun Jambalaya
- Calories: 339
- Carbohydrate Content: 24 g
- Cholesterol Content: 171 mg
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 46 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 54 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g