Sorghum is a type of grass that produces small, round seeds; they are gluten-free with a mild flavor and slightly chewy texture. Look for sorghum in the bulk section of natural grocery stores. Paired with red beans and shrimp, it puts a healthy spin on old-fashioned red beans and rice. Bonus: There’s no need to soak the beans ahead of time as small amounts of dried beans can be added to the Instant Pot without soaking.
- Prep Time
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green or red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth or bone broth
- 1 cup sorghum, rinsed
- 1/2 cup dried small red beans
- 5 tsp unsalted Cajun seasoning
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 oz large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup jarred, boxed or BPA-free canned diced tomatoes, with juices
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
1. On the Instant Pot, press Sauté and set to Normal/Medium. Add oil and heat. Add celery, yellow onion, bell pepper and garlic and sauté until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes. Press Cancel.
2. Stir in broth, sorghum, beans, Cajun seasoning, salt and bay leaf. Lock lid and set release valve to Sealing. Press Bean/Chili and set to More/High; adjust cooking time to 30 minutes.
3. When cooking is done, let pressure naturally release for 15 minutes (don’t move the vent). Carefully set release valve to Venting. When metal pin in lid falls and all pressure is released, unlock lid.
4. Stir in shrimp and tomatoes. Press Sauté and set to Normal/ Medium. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until shrimp are opaque and pink, about 4 minutes. Press Cancel.
5. Spoon into bowls. Season with black pepper. Sprinkle with green onions before serving.
Tip: We love this dish sprinkled with cheese and served with lime wedges.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 391
- Carbohydrate Content: 58 g
- Cholesterol Content: 119 mg
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 29 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 580 mg
- Sugar Content: 5.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1 g