Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Video: Cooking Rice
Learn to cook the perfect pot of rice – Chef Jo has four kinds to share, two of which are sure to impress guests!
- While the rice is cooking, prep the other ingredients. Cut up the crab, julienne the cucumber and slice the avocado. Make sure to peel the cucumber.
- Prepare the vinegar mixture (or buy sushi vinegar ready-made and heat it before using). Over medium heat, warm vinegar on stove and mix in Sucanat and sea salt (don’t boil because sugar can burn). Mixture is done when all the ingredients have dissolved.
- Transfer rice to a large mixing bowl. While rice is hot, fold in vinegar (1 tbsp for each cup of cooked rice). Be sure to fold and not stir, as you do not want to break the kernels and have the rice turn mushy. Let cool to room temperature.
- Serving Size 1 roll (8 pieces)
- Calories 230
- Carbohydrate Content 28 g
- Cholesterol Content 30 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 190 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g