Video: How to: Herbs
In this video, Chef Jo explains how herbs are a great way to add a quick burst of flavor (and no fat!) to any dish, all year round.
- 1 medium ripe cantaloupe
- 1 cup 100% orange juice
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil, plus additional for garnish
- Cut cantaloupe in half, remove seeds and scoop out flesh. Cut flesh into 1-inch chunks, place in a sealable bag and freeze until solid, about 1 to 2 hours.
- Place cantaloupe chunks, orange juice and lemon juice into a food processor or blender and purée until smooth. Add milk, honey and salt. Continue to blend until combined. (At this point, if using a commercial ice cream machine, freeze mixture according to manufacturer's instructions.)
- Using a spatula, scoop mixture into a shallow 13 x 9-inch freezer-safe container and whisk in basil. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and place container in freezer for about 2 hours, or until frozen around edges and almost frozen in center. Break frozen pieces into chunks and place entire mixture into food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Place mixture back into freezer-safe container and into freezer to set for 2 to 3 hours or until mixture is scoopable.
- Sherbet becomes very hard and "snowy" in texture when stored in freezer. To soften, allow container of sherbet to warm slightly in fridge for about 5 to 8 minutes or until soft enough to break apart or scoop. Break desired amount of sherbet into pieces and place into food processor. Purée mixture until creamy. Sherbet may be served immediately if scoopable. If mixture is very soft and not able to be scooped into a ball, refreeze for about 1 hour.
- To serve, scoop into serving bowls, garnish with basil, if desired, and serve immediately. Best if consumed within 2 to 3 days. Store covered in a sealable freezer-safe container in freezer.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 50
- Carbohydrate Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 35 mg
- Sugar Content: 11 g