Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- In a large skillet on medium-high, heat olive oil. Add red onions and white onions with sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste. (NOTE: Add only a few onions at a time so as not to crowd them. It’s also important to coat the onions with the oil as you add them to the pan.) Cook for 50 minutes, reducing heat to medium-low halfway through cooking time, stirring every 5 minutes, until onions are very tender, caramelized and golden brown.
- Add vegetable broth and increase heat to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. To a large bowl, transfer cooked onion mixture; add whole-grain bread cubes and toss well to combine.
- Add raw pecans, raw sunflower seeds, parsley and finely chopped fresh tarragon. Season with salt and pepper and transfer mixture to a 9 x 13-inch baking dish misted with cooking spray.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes, then remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven; cool for 10 minutes. Garnish with fresh lemon zest, if desired.
- Calories 0
- Carbohydrate Content 0 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 0 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 0 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 0 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g