For more plum recipes, click here.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp organic unsalted butter
- 3 plums, pitted and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour, plus additional for rolling
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 cup packed baby arugula
- Preheat oven to 450°F. In a large, heavy skillet on medium, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are very soft and lightly browned, about 20 minutes. to a small bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet on medium-high, working in two batches, heat half of butter. Add half of plums in a single layer and cook without stirring, until soft and golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a medium bowl and repeat with remaining half of butter and half of plums; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder and salt. Add ¾ cup water and remaining 2 tbsp oil and stir until just moistened. Sprinkle flour on a work surface. Transfer dough to surface and knead into a ball. Press dough into a thick disk, sprinkle with flour and roll out into a large oval, approximately 1/8 inch thick. Slide dough onto a large baking sheet. Bake in center of oven until dough is set and just beginning to brown, 12 minutes, rotating baking sheet back to front about halfway through. (TIP: You could also roll dough on a piece of parchment and use it to slide dough onto baking sheet.)
- Remove baking sheet from oven and top with caramelized onions, plums and cheese. Return to oven and bake until dough is light golden brown and cheese is melted, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from oven and top with arugula.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of flatbread
- Calories: 448
- Carbohydrate Content: 49 g
- Cholesterol Content: 31 mg
- Fat Content: 22 g
- Fiber Content: 7.5 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7 g
- Sodium Content: 398 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 2 g