Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
For more plum recipes, click here.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. In a large, heavy skillet on medium, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are very soft and lightly browned, about 20 minutes. to a small bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet on medium-high, working in two batches, heat half of butter. Add half of plums in a single layer and cook without stirring, until soft and golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a medium bowl and repeat with remaining half of butter and half of plums; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder and salt. Add ¾ cup water and remaining 2 tbsp oil and stir until just moistened. Sprinkle flour on a work surface. Transfer dough to surface and knead into a ball. Press dough into a thick disk, sprinkle with flour and roll out into a large oval, approximately 1/8 inch thick. Slide dough onto a large baking sheet. Bake in center of oven until dough is set and just beginning to brown, 12 minutes, rotating baking sheet back to front about halfway through. (TIP: You could also roll dough on a piece of parchment and use it to slide dough onto baking sheet.)
- Remove baking sheet from oven and top with caramelized onions, plums and cheese. Return to oven and bake until dough is light golden brown and cheese is melted, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from oven and top with arugula.
- Serving Size 1/4 of flatbread
- Calories 448
- Carbohydrate Content 49 g
- Cholesterol Content 31 mg
- Fat Content 22 g
- Fiber Content 7.5 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 398 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g