- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, shredded
- 1/4 cup dried currants or raisins
- 1/2 cup Sucanat
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg white
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp unfiltered 100% apple juice
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 1/2 tsp real vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray an 8 x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, carrots, currants, Sucanat, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt; mix well.
- Make a well in the center and add whole egg, egg white, oil and 3/4 cup water. Stir until flour is completely incorporated and batter is moistened.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a rack.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine juice, honey and vanilla for the glaze. Pour over top of carrot bread and serve.
Nutrients per 1/2-inch slice: Calories: 140, Total Fat: 3 g, Sat. Fat: 0.5 g, Carbs: 26 g, Fiber: 3 g, Sugars: 13 g, Protein: 3 g, Sodium: 220 mg, Cholesterol: 15 mg
Nutritional Bonus: Thanks to the carrots and eggs, this bread will help keep you healthy on the outside too. One slice provides 46% of your recommended daily value (DV) of vitamin A, vital for healthy teeth and skin.