Find more dessert recipes here.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose spelt flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened raisins
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tsp flaxseeds, ground, mixed with 2 tsp water
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup buttermilk (or plain low-fat or whole-milk yogurt)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 oz carrot, peeled and finely shredded (about 1/2 cup packed)
CREAM CHEESE HONEY DRIZZLE (makes 1/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 lemon, finely zested and juiced, divided
- Cut parchment to fit bottom and sides of stoneware insert or ceramic dish of a 4- to 6-qt slow cooker. Spray insert or dish with cooking spray and line with prepared parchment. If using a larger 5- to 7-qt slow cooker, select a foil or glass baking pan that easily fits inside stoneware insert. Mist baking pan with cooking spray and similarly line with parchment.
- Place flour, coconut, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl and whisk lightly to combine. Stir in raisins.
- In a separate large bowl, combine egg white and flax-water mixture and whisk until bubbles form. Add honey, applesauce, buttermilk, oil and vanilla and whisk until well blended. Stir in dry ingredients, until just mixed. Fold in carrot and pour mixture into prepared stoneware dish or baking pan. Cover entire top of slow cooker with 3 layers of paper towel and secure with lid. This will catch the extra condensation in the slow cooker and prevent the cake from getting too moist. Cover and cook on low for 2 to 2½ hours, or until a knife inserted in center of cake comes out dry. Remove stoneware dish or baking pan from heat and place on a cooling rack until cool.
- Slice cake into 10 pieces, and serve warm or at room temperature with Cream Cheese Honey Drizzle.
CREAM CHEESE HONEY DRIZZLE
- In a small saucepan on low, heat cream cheese until slightly warm. Remove from heat and use a spatula to stir in honey until smooth. Add pinch lemon zest and 2 tsp lemon juice and continue to stir. Slowly add 2 tbsp water, a bit at a time, until mixture is consistency of thick cream. Taste topping and add more zest and juice, to taste.
- Serving Size: 1/10 of cake with icing
- Calories: 190
- Carbohydrate Content: 35 g
- Cholesterol Content: 5 mg
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 210 mg
- Sugar Content: 17 g