Curries come in countless forms, inspired by the ingredients and spices of the regions and cultures they originate in. But while there are many different kinds of curry, this warm and flavorful meal usually has one staple: A bed of rice underneath the saucy topping. When you’re sticking with the keto diet, rice is pretty much off the table, unless you want to slip out of ketosis and up your carb intake significantly. That’s why we devised our Cashew Chicken Curry: A keto-friendly curry, with classic ingredients and a whole lot of deliciousness, but without all the carbs.
We’ve slashed the carb content in this recipe by swapping out rice for veggie rice – specifically, broccoli rice. And it’s even more delicious than rice, in our opinion. Tossed in coconut oil, a squeeze of lime juice and fresh cilantro, it enhances the spices used in the yellow curry that’s spooned over top. Pro tip: You can even use frozen riced broccoli instead of doing the work of ricing it yourself.
Of course, you can’t overlook the curry itself. Made with yellow curry paste, turmeric and ginger, we’ve mixed in nutty cashews and boneless, skinless chicken breasts for plenty of protein. And we’re sneaking in some cauliflower for an extra serving of nutrient-rich veggies.
If you love this curry, you’re definitely going to want to try one of our other clean takes on this classic, like:
- Curry-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Butternut Squash Curry
- Thai Yellow Curry with Fall Vegetables
- Japanese Chicken Curry
Cashew Chicken Curry with Herbed Broccoli Rice
- Prepare curry: In a large mixing bowl, toss chicken cubes with ginger and garlic.
- In a spice grinder or food processor, grind cashews to make a coarse powder.
- In a Dutch oven on medium-high, heat oil. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes; transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add curry paste and turmeric and cook for 1 minute. Add coconut milk and stir, scraping bottom of pan with a wooden spoon. Return chicken to pot; add cauliflower and ground cashews. Adjust heat to a gentle simmer and cook for about 12 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and cauliflower is tender. Stir in fish sauce, coconut aminos and lime juice.
- Meanwhile, prepare broccoli rice: In a medium skillet on medium-high, heat coconut oil. Add riced broccoli and stir for 3 minutes, until bright green and tender. Stir in salt, pepper, lime zest and juice and cilantro.
- Transfer broccoli rice to serving bowls and top with chicken curry. Sprinkle with optional garnishes.
- Serving Size ⅙ of recipe
- Calories 417
- Carbohydrate Content 16 g
- Cholesterol Content 83 mg
- Fat Content 26.5 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 32 g
- Saturated Fat Content 17.5 g
- Sodium Content 967 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g