Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 2 cups fresh cauliflower florets
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced in rings
- 3 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1/2 cup shredded light Gouda cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded light Havarti cheese
- 1 tbsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Sea salt, to taste, optional
- 2 tbsp whole-wheat bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Fill a medium saucepan with water, about 1 inch high. Bring to a boil. Place cauliflower and broccoli in a steamer basket and set in saucepan. Reduce to medium heat and cover with lid for 5 minutes, until cauliflower and broccoli are tender. Remove from burner and set aside to cool.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, sauté onion in 2 tsp oil for 1 to 2 minutes, until translucent. Add carrot and milk and heat for 3 minutes, constantly stirring. In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tbsp cold water and arrowroot powder. Add mixture to saucepan with milk mixture and stir for 1 minute. Stir in cheeses and mix until melted. Season with mustard, pepper and salt, if desired.
- In a small skillet over medium-high heat, brown bread crumbs in remaining 1 tsp oil for 3 minutes.
- In an 8 x 8-inch glass dish, add cauliflower and broccoli in an evenly distributed layer. Pour cheese-carrot mixture over top, then sprinkle with bread crumbs and bake for 25 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrients per 1 1/2-cup serving: Calories: 232, Total Fat: 9 g, Sat. Fat: 4 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 4 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 26 g, Fiber: 3 g, Sugars: 8 g, Protein: 14 g, Sodium: 263 mg, Cholesterol: 28 mg
Leftovers can be kept in refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days.