- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp each coriander seeds and cumin seeds
- 1 tsp each garam masala, turmeric and paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 2 green finger chile peppers (or serrano pepper), seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups jarred unsalted puréed strained tomatoes (aka passata), divided
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro + additional for garnish
- 1 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp safflower oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 large head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into bite-size florets (about 6 cups)
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced (TIP: Halve larger carrots lengthwise and thinly slice crosswise.)
- 1 15-oz BPA-free can unsalted chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 3/4 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 3/4 cup whole-milk plain yogurt
1. To a heat-proof bowl, add cashews and enough boiling water to cover. Let stand for 30 to 45 minutes. Drain, reserving 2 tbsp soaking water.
2. Meanwhile, heat a Dutch oven or large heavy-bottomed saucepan on medium-low. Add coriander, cumin, garam masala, turmeric, paprika and cayenne pepper and cook, stirring often,
until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a food processor.
3. To food processor with spices, add cashews and reserved soaking water and process until finely ground. Add chile peppers, 3 tbsp strained tomatoes, cilantro, ginger, garlic and salt. Pulse, stopping to scrape down side of bowl, until a smooth paste forms, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
4. Wipe out Dutch oven. In Dutch oven on medium-low, heat oil. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until soft and light golden, 6 to 7 minutes. Stir in cashew mixture, cauliflower, carrot and chickpeas.
5. Add broth and remaining strained tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until cauliflower and carrot are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat; gradually stir in yogurt, a spoonful at a time, until smooth. Garnish with additional cilantro.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 367
- Carbohydrate Content: 47 g
- Cholesterol Content: 6 mg
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 12 g
- Protein Content: 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 272 mg
- Sugar Content: 14 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 4 g