Love lentils? Find fat-burning lentil recipes here.
Hands-On-Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into small florets
- 1 yellow or sweet onion, diced
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, diced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp coarse sea salt, plus additional to taste
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 16 oz red lentils (TIP: Spread lentils on a baking sheet and pick over for stones or debris, then rinse well.)
- 1 cup reduced-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large pot, heat oil on medium. Add carrots, cauliflower and onion and sauté stirring often, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add tomato, garlic, ginger, cumin, cayenne and 1/4 tsp salt and sauté until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in broth, lentils and 4 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until vegetables and lentils are very tender. With an immersion blender, purée until smooth. (Alternatively, transfer soup in batches to an upright blender and blend until smooth; return to pot.)
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine yogurt, cilantro and salt, to taste. Divide soup among serving bowls and top with yogurt mixture.
Nutrients Per Serving (1 1/2 cups soup and 2 tbsp yogurt): Calories: 279, Total Fat: 4 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 42 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 7.5 g, Protein: 19 g, Sodium: 194 mg, Cholesterol: 2 mg