Cauliflower Rice Paella
This classic Spanish dish gets a grain-free makeover using cauliflower in place of rice. Bonus: the cauli rice cuts down on cooking time, making this dish an easy weeknight option.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 oz large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1/3 cup unsalted tomato paste
- Pinch saffron powder
- 6 cups frozen cauliflower rice, thawed and drained
- ½ tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 8 oz fresh mussels
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 lemon wedges, for serving
- In a large skillet on medium-high, heat oil. Add shrimp and cook for about 1 minute per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- To skillet, add onion and cook for 5 minutes, until soft and starting to brown. Add bell pepper and cook for about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Stir in paprika, tomato paste and saffron. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower rice, salt and pepper and stir well to coat. Add broth and simmer for 5 minutes. Place mussels on top then cover and simmer for 5 minutes, until shells are open (discard any that are still closed). Return shrimp to the pan and cook for 3 to 5 more minutes, until shrimp are heated through. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with lemon wedges.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 244
- Carbohydrate Content 19 g
- Cholesterol Content 93 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 23 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 502 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g