BETTER BITES: Not only are these tots low in carbs (only 7 grams in a serving), each serving also contains 53 mg of immuneboosting vitamin C (82% of your daily value) and 4 mg of energy-supporting iron (29% of your daily value).
- Prep Time
2 tbsp avocado oil
1 head cauliflower, cut into florets then shredded on the large holes of a box grater (or in a food processor with shredding attachment; 5½ cups total)
¾ tsp sea salt, divided
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tsp each garlic powder and paprika
½ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp ground black pepper
1 large egg
¼ cup avocado oil mayonnaise
2 tbsp grainy Dijon mustard
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
1 small clove garlic, minced
1. Prepare bites: Preheat oven to 400ºF. Place a metal rack on a large baking sheet. Top rack with parchment.
2. In a large skillet on medium-high, heat oil. Add cauliflower and ¼ tsp salt and cook, stirring, until tender and just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer cauliflower to a large bowl; add cheese, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, pepper and remaining ½ tsp salt. Stir until cheese begins to melt and mixture is well combined. Stir in egg.
3. Using 1 rounded tbsp per ball, place even-sized cauliflower balls onto parchment-lined rack. Form into small cylinders; flatten slightly. If liquid collects in bowl, stir mixture to reincorporate.
4. Mist bites with cooking spray and bake for 15 minutes. Turn over and mist bites with additional cooking spray and bake about 15 minutes longer, or until deep golden.
5. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together Herbed Mayo ingredients. Serve alongside bites.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 215
- Carbohydrate Content: 7 g
- Cholesterol Content: 56 mg
- Fat Content: 18 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 579 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 11 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 2 g