With only 15 minutes prep, this low- maintenance recipe is cooked entirely on the grill. For a more dramatic presentation, you can use a 1½-lb piece of salmon instead of fillets – you’ll need a larger plank and about 10 minutes more on the grill.
Don’t forget to soak your cedar plank overnight!
- Soak plank in water overnight, weighting it down to keep it submerged. (TIP: Canned beans work well as weights.)
- Preheat a grill to medium-high. Tear four 12 x 12-inch sheets of foil, then four 10 x 10-inch sheets of parchment paper. Crumple up parchment pieces then run each under the tap to moisten, shaking off excess water. (NOTE: This helps steam potatoes and prevent burning.) Uncrumple parchment and set aside with foil.
- Cut a small slice along the length of each potato so they sit flat. Using a sharp knife, cut ¼-inch slices along width, almost to the bottom (TIP: Place chopsticks on either side of the potato to prevent slicing through). Drizzle potatoes with oil. Wrap each in moist parchment then in foil.
- Turn off one side of the grill for indirect cooking. Place potato packets on unheated side, close lid and cook until tender, 50 to 60 minutes. Carefully open foil and cook further until slightly crispy and golden, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare herb butter: In a small bowl combine butter, parsley and ¼ tsp each salt and pepper.
- Prepare glaze: In a separate small bowl, combine maple syrup, mustard, ginger, garlic and cayenne.
- When potatoes have about 15 minutes remaining, place salmon on plank; sprinkle with remaining ¼ tsp each salt and pepper. Place plank on hot side of grill and reduce heat to medium. Drizzle maple mixture over salmon, reserving 2 tbsp. Close lid and cook 12 to 14 minutes for medium rare, 14 to 18 minutes for well done. Transfer to a serving platter; drizzle with remaining glaze. Place potatoes around salmon and drizzle each with butter mixture.
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 406
- Carbohydrate Content 30 g
- Cholesterol Content 95 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 36 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5.5 g
- Sodium Content 536 mg
- Sugar Content 17 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g