- Prep Time
- 2 tbsp grape seed oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 green chiles, seeded and minced
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 1 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 4 cups BPA-free canned unsalted diced tomatoes
- 4 cups cooked or BPA-free canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp each garam masala and sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- Brown rice and/or whole-wheat naan
1. In a large, deep skillet on medium, heat oil. Add onions and sauté until translucent and fragrant, about 6 minutes.
2. Add chiles, garlic and ginger and sauté until fragrant, about 4 minutes.Add cumin seeds, coriander and turmeric and sauté until fragrant, about 2 more minutes.
3. Add tomatoes, chickpeas and broth and bring to a simmer. Simmer on low for 20 to 25 minutes.
4. Stir in lemon juice, garam masala, salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Garnish with cilantro and serve with brown rice or whole-wheat naan.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 291
- Carbohydrate Content: 44.5 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 11 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 377 mg
- Sugar Content: 13 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 5 g