Cheesy Cauliflower Garlic Buns with Meatballs
Cauliflower cheese buns are a delicious substitute for the carb-loaded original. It's a gluten-free, veggie-packed option that pairs well with our beef meatballs.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 1 large egg
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp organic unsalted butter, divided
- 4 cups riced cauliflower
- 6 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 6 large eggs, yolks separated
- 1½ cups almond flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- 1¼ cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Prepare meatballs: Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. To a large bowl, add meatball ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Form into 12 balls;transfer to 1 prepared sheet. Bakefor 20 minutes, until cooked through. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare buns: In a medium skillet on medium, heat one-half of butter. Add riced cauliflower and sauté 4 minutes. Stir in one-half of garlic then remove from heat; let cool slightly. Wrap mixture in a clean kitchen towel to squeeze out excess water. To a food processor, add cauliflower mixture, egg yolks, almond flour, baking powder, Italian seasoning, salt and one-half of cheese. Process for 30 to 40 seconds, until mixture forms a smooth dough; transfer to a large bowl.
- Using a handheld electric mixer or stand mixer, whip egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold one-third of whipped egg whites into cauliflower dough, repeating by thirds until egg whites are fully incorporated. Using a 1/3 cup measure, scoop 12 balls and arrange about ¼ inch apart on second baking sheet, spacing evenly. Bake 20 minutes, until light golden brown. In a small saucepan on medium, melt remaining butter and garlic. Brush over buns.
- Without slicing all the way through, cut 2 slits into each bun to form an “x.” Add enough marinara sauce to fill pockets; top with 1 meatball per bun. Sprinkle evenly with remaining cheese. Bake 8 minutes more, until sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted.
Related: Bolster Your Immunity
- Serving Size 1/6 of recipe
- Calories 580
- Carbohydrate Content 19 g
- Cholesterol Content 293 mg
- Fat Content 42 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 36 g
- Saturated Fat Content 12 g
- Sodium Content 850 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 20 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 6 g