We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 oz Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup reduced-fat or whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1 cup reduced-fat or whole-milk cottage cheese
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves, plus additional basil leaves for garnish
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Black Pepper)
- 3 cups all-natural jarred marinara sauce
- 1 large eggplant, trimmed and sliced into ¼-inch rounds
- In a food processor, process cheeses, garlic, egg, ½ cup basil and pepper until combined and smooth.
- Mist a 5- to 6-qt slow cooker with cooking spray. Spread a thin layer of marinara (about 1/3 cup) over bottom of slow cooker. Arrange one-third of eggplant slices over sauce, overlapping edges. Spread half of cheese mixture over eggplant and then spoon one-third of remaining marinara evenly over top. Repeat with another one-third of eggplant, half of cheese mixture and one-third of sauce, and finish with remaining one-third of eggplant and sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. (TIP: If casserole is still watery, cook on high, uncovered, for an additional 10 minutes.) Garnish with additional basil.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of casserole
- Calories: 165
- Carbohydrate Content: 16 g
- Cholesterol Content: 53 mg
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2.5 g
- Sodium Content: 451 mg
- Sugar Content: 10 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 0.5 g