Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
- 1 bunch broccoli, tough ends trimmed
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 egg plus 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 lb kale, rinsed, chopped and tough stems removed
- 6 slices whole grain bread, toasted, divided
- 1 lb fresh pie pumpkin (such as Cinderella, Baby Bear, Long Island Cheese or Sugar Pie varieties), peeled, seeded and grated, divided
- 5 oz part-skim sliced mozzarella cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Fill a medium pot halfway with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and add broccoli. Cook for 5 minutes, until fork-tender. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk garlic, egg, egg whites and milk.
- Heat a large skillet on high. Add kale and cook until beginning to sizzle. Cook undisturbed for 3 more minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Break 4 slices toast into rough chunks and scatter on the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Layer half of pumpkin, kale, half of cheese, broccoli and remaining half of pumpkin over top. Break remaining 2 slices toast into small pieces and scatter over top. Top with remaining half of cheese. Pour milk mixture over top. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
Nutrients per serving (about 3 cups pumpkin casserole): Calories: 385, Total Fat: 11 g, Sat. Fat: 5 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3 g, polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5 g, Carbs: 51 g, Fiber: 12 g, Sugars: 11 g, Protein: 28 g, Sodium: 546 mg, Cholesterol: 78 mg