Hands-on time: 5 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 tbsp safflower oil
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 4 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 packet stevia
- 1 cup frozen unsweetened dark cherries, thawed and halved
- Cook rice according to package directions. In a medium bowl, combine rice, oil, cinnamon, orange zest and salt. Divide among serving bowls.
- In a small saucepan, bring milk and maple syrup to a boil on medium heat. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and stevia. Drizzle over top of rice mixture and top with cherries, dividing evenly.
Nutrients per 1-cup serving: Calories: 253, Total Fat: 5 g, Sat. Fat: 0.5 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 48 g, Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 9 g, Protein: 5 g, Sodium: 136 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg
Nutritional Bonus: Switching from white rice to brown is a great way to up your fiber intake. That's because many nutrients found in brown rice, such as fiber, B vitamins and iron, are lost during the processing of white rice.