Chia Pesto & Goat Cheese Gratin
Chia seeds stand in for nuts in this classic pesto that we spread atop goat cheese and bake for an easy and mouthwatering hot appetizer or snack
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
FOR THE WELLNESS OVERACHIEVER: Try adding ¼ tsp spirulina to the food processor with the oil when making pesto. Spirulina is a blue-green algae that contains all the essential amino acids.
2½ cups fresh basil leaves
2 tbsp chia seeds (TRY: Navitas Organics Organic Chia Seeds)
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 large clove garlic, peeled
¼ cup olive oil
¼ tsp sea salt
ground black pepper, to taste
10 oz soft goat cheese
crackers, toast, flatbread, crudités, for serving
1. In a mini food processor, process basil, chia, lemon juice and garlic until finely chopped. With the machine running, pour in oil and process until smooth. Add salt and pepper and pulse to combine.
2. Preheat broiler to high. Crumble cheese on the bottom of a 10-inch round baking dish. Spread pesto on top of goat cheese. Place baking dish under broiler about 3 inches from heat. Broil until cheese is melted and fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes. Serve with crackers or choice of dipper.
- Serving Size ⅛ of recipe
- Calories 174
- Carbohydrate Content 2 g
- Cholesterol Content 16 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 224 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 7 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g