POWERFUL PREBIOTICS: Emerging science on gut health is demonstrating the link between a strong microbiome and overall well- being, affecting vastly different systems from the skin to the brain. Consuming foods such as onions and garlic, which are packed with prebiotics, can help feed healthy bacteria in the gut, helping to repopulate the microbiome and aid in digestion.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
1 15-oz BPA-free can unsalted pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 14½-oz BPA-free can unsalted diced tomatoes with juices (fire-roasted, if possible)
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
¾ cup roughly chopped white onion
2 tbsp canned chipotle peppers in adobo
2 cloves garlic, peeled ½ tsp sea salt, divided 1 tbsp grape seed oil
2 6-inch corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
4 oz shredded cooked rotisserie chicken (about 1 cup)
¼ cup full-fat sour cream
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
pickled onions, optional*
lime wedges, optional
1. In a blender, purée beans, tomatoes, broth, onion, chipotle peppers and garlic.
2. Transfer purée to a medium saucepan on medium; add ¼ tsp salt. Cook until heated, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a skillet on medium-high, heat oil. Add tortilla strips and cook until crispy, about 3 minutes. Transfer strips to a paper towel-lined plate and season with remaining ¼ tsp salt while still hot.
4. Divide chicken and soup among bowls and top with sour cream, cilantro and tortilla strips. If using, top with pickled onions and serve with lime wedges.
*Pickled Onions: In a small saucepan, bring 6 tbsp red wine vinegar and 1½ tsp raw honey to a boil. Stir in 1 small red onion, sliced. Turn off heat, cover and set aside to cool to room temperature. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Serving Size: ½ of recipe
- Calories: 512
- Carbohydrate Content: 59 g
- Cholesterol Content: 75 mg
- Fat Content: 17 g
- Fiber Content: 13 g
- Protein Content: 32 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 905 mg
- Sugar Content: 11 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 5 g