Need a reason to eat fresh? Discover 6 Reasons to Eat Seasonal & Local all year long!
- Prep Time
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat or whole-milk plain Greek yogurt
- 1/8 tsp sea salt 1 tsp raw honey
- 2 tsp dried thyme or dried mint
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 6 oz blackberries
- 1/4 cup minced radish tops, rinsed well and patted dry, optional
- In a medium pot, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add barley, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes, then check to see if barley has reached desired tenderness. If too chewy, cook for an additional 2 minutes and check again. Drain barley well and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, prepare Yogurt Thyme Dressing: In a small bowl, combine yogurt, salt, honey, thyme, 1 tbsp water and 1 1/2 tsp oil. Whisk with a fork and set aside.
- In a large nonstick pan, heat remaining 1 1/2 tsp oil on medium. Add chicken and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, flipping halfway. When cooked through and lightly browned, use a slotted spoon to remove chicken and transfer it to bowl with barley.
- Add blackberries and Yogurt Thyme Dressing to barley-chicken mixture and toss well. Garnish with radish tops (if using).
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 373
- Carbohydrate Content: 46 g
- Cholesterol Content: 66 mg
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 32 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 112 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1 g