Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- Arrange racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat to 425˚F. Line 2 large, rimmed baking sheets with foil and mist with cooking spray. Add squash to 1 sheet, mist with cooking spray and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper; toss and spread in a single layer. Add chicken to second sheet, lightly mist with cooking spray and season with thyme and remaining 1/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Roast squash for 20 to 25 minutes, tossing once or twice, until lightly browned and very tender. Roast chicken for 15 to 20 minutes, turning halfway, until no longer pink in center and juices run clear.
- Wrap chicken in foil to keep warm. Transfer squash to a food processor. Add 2 tbsp milk, chile powder and cinnamon; process until puréed. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan on medium, melt butter. Add flour and stir until moistened; cook, stirring frequently, until lightly toasted, about 1 minute. Slowly pour in remaining 1/2 cup milk. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer, whisking to break up any lumps, until slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and immediately whisk in cheese. Cover until ready to serve. (NOTE: If you’re not serving within 5 minutes, reheat on low. If mixture thickens too much, whisk in more milk to reach desired consistency.)
- Divide squash among serving plates. Nestle chicken beside squash and top evenly with sauce. Sprinkle with cranberries and parsley.
- Serving Size 1 chicken breast, 2 tbsp sauce, 1/2 cup squash
- Calories 347
- Carbohydrate Content 35 g
- Cholesterol Content 95 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 39 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 358 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g