Love French classics? Try our recipe for clean Coq au Vin.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 tbsp white whole-wheat flour or whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, divided
- 1¼ lb bone in, skin-on chicken breasts (halved crosswise with a sharp knife through bone)
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tbsp organic unsalted butter, divided, chilled
- 2 large carrots, halved lengthwise and sliced (quartered if large)
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 10 oz white mushrooms, halved (quartered if large)
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 12 sprigs fresh thyme
- 7 oz frozen pearl onions, thawed and drained
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Dredge chicken in mixture, turning to coat. Reserve remaining flour mixture.
- In a large Dutch oven or pot with tight-fitting lid on medium, heat 2 tsp oil. Working in batches, sear chicken, turning once, until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Using tongs, transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In Dutch oven, heat remaining 1 tsp oil and 1 tbsp butter (still on medium). Add carrots and red onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Sprinkle in reserved flour mixture and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high and add wine, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pot. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Add broth, thyme and remaining 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and add pearl onions. Return chicken and any juices to pot. Cover and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes. Discard thyme, transfer chicken to a plate and cover. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Cook until sauce is reduced by half, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in remaining 2 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp at a time, whisking between additions. Divide chicken among plates and top with one-quarter of sauce and vegetables.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of chicken and vegetables
- Calories: 412
- Carbohydrate Content: 20 g
- Cholesterol Content: 95 mg
- Fat Content: 24 g
- Protein Content: 30 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 9 g
- Sodium Content: 381 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 3 g