Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Love French classics? Try our recipe for clean Coq au Vin.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Dredge chicken in mixture, turning to coat. Reserve remaining flour mixture.
- In a large Dutch oven or pot with tight-fitting lid on medium, heat 2 tsp oil. Working in batches, sear chicken, turning once, until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Using tongs, transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In Dutch oven, heat remaining 1 tsp oil and 1 tbsp butter (still on medium). Add carrots and red onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Sprinkle in reserved flour mixture and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high and add wine, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pot. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Add broth, thyme and remaining 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and add pearl onions. Return chicken and any juices to pot. Cover and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes. Discard thyme, transfer chicken to a plate and cover. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Cook until sauce is reduced by half, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in remaining 2 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp at a time, whisking between additions. Divide chicken among plates and top with one-quarter of sauce and vegetables.
- Serving Size 1/4 of chicken and vegetables
- Calories 412
- Carbohydrate Content 20 g
- Cholesterol Content 95 mg
- Fat Content 24 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 30 g
- Saturated Fat Content 9 g
- Sodium Content 381 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g