READER RECIPE TESTER
"I like the way eating clean makes me feel, and I have seen great changes in my body. I decided to 'lighten it up' and adjusted the recipe so it would fit into my diet. The soup is still very comforting. My favorite cuisine is Thai, so I love the mix of spice and slight sweetness here."
- Cook Time
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, scrubbed and chopped into approximately 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup small white or red potatoes, scrubbed and chopped into approximately 1/2-inch pieces
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 oz each)
- 1/2 cup snow peas, cleaned and cut lengthwise
- 1 tsp red chile pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 to 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 4 tbsp cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Heat oil in a pot over medium. Add garlic, onion, carrots and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and sauté until onions are lightly translucent.
- Add broth and coconut and skim milks. Bring to a light boil.
- Add chicken, cover and let simmer for 12 minutes over medium-low to medium heat.
- Remove chicken and set aside. Add peas and chile flakes to soup. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, slice chicken and add pieces back to the soup.
- Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired. Add lemon juice, sprinkle in cilantro and serve.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2-cup serving
- Calories: 250
- Carbohydrate Content: 18 g
- Cholesterol Content: 30 mg
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4.5 g
- Sodium Content: 50 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g