This Low-Carb Chicken Donair Plate is Simply Spiced Yet Flavor-Packed (and Anti-Inflammatory, Too!)
Turmeric-roasted chicken and cauliflower along with crisp lettuce, cucumber and tomato make this a satisfying plate, no bread required.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
A chicken donair plate is kind of the perfect lunch or dinner. It brings together protein, crunchy veggies and a whole lot of flavor, all wrapped up in a pita. In our version, however, we’ve skipped the pita to keep this meal low-carb and light (and, of course, keto-friendly). This homemade chicken shawarma results in juicy, tender chicken thighs marinated in a mix of different spices, paired with fresh produce and finished with a delicious and fragrant sauce.
One reason we love serving this Chicken Donair Plate? The seasoning blend used to infuse flavor and vibrant color into the chicken thighs includes turmeric. Used for thousands of years for both its taste and its medicinal benefits, turmeric contains curcumin, which works like a potent antioxidant that can combat inflammation. Sprinkling turmeric onto the meat included in this meal may offer anti-inflammatory benefits – and that can be beneficial for oh-so-many different health concerns and conditions.
But of course, turmeric isn’t the only nutritional perk of this plate. All of the fresh veg, from the cauliflower to the cucumber to the tomatoes, delivers an array of fiber, vitamins and minerals to keep you feeling fantastic.
And to top off this Chicken Donair Plate, we’ve add a garlic-yogurt sauce that really brings the oomph. If you’re a serious garlic lover, you can adjust the amount of garlic to your taste (and, of course, you can always cut back if you don’t want as much!). We like making extra sauce to save for dressing salads, drizzling over roasted veggies or even dipping fresh, crunchy vegetables as a snack. It’s super versatile and, no matter how it’s used, incredibly satisfying.
Chicken Donair Plate
Chicken & vegetables
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into ½-inch steaks through center (use all pieces including smaller florets)
- 4 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided (TRY: California Olive Ranch Reserve Miller’s Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 2 tsp turmeric, divided
- ½ tsp sea salt, divided
- 1½ lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp each ground cumin, coriander and paprika (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Cumin, Coriander and Paprika)
- ½ English cucumber, sliced
- 1 Roma tomato, sliced
- 1 head romaine lettuce, shredded
- ½ cup full-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp raw honey
- ¼ tsp garlic, minced
- sea salt, to taste
- 2–3 tbsp water, or as needed
- Prepare cauliflower and chicken: Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment. In a large mixing bowl, gently toss cauliflower with half of each oil, turmeric and salt. Arrange on one-half of baking sheet. In same bowl, place chicken and remaining oil, turmeric, salt as well as cumin, coriander and paprika. Mix well and place on the empty half of baking sheet. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink inside and cauliflower is browned.
- Meanwhile, prepare sauce: In a bowl, mix together all sauce ingredients. Whisk in water, a splash at a time, until a runny consistency is reached.
- Slice chicken. On a platter or in individual bowls, place cucumber, tomato and lettuce and top with roasted cauliflower and chicken. Serve with sauce.
NOTE: If following our Meal Plan, refrigerate leftovers and sauce in separate containers; reheat chicken and cauliflower and assemble when called for.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 489
- Carbohydrate Content 20 g
- Cholesterol Content 160 mg
- Fat Content 30 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 39 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 558 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 16 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 6 g