Serve this flavorful stew with a variety of toppings so everyone can build their own bowl at the table – try chopped radishes, cilantro, avocado, crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, shredded cheddar and black olives. You can use the mixture in tortillas or lettuce wraps, or use it as the base for fajitas or quesadillas (just make sure to drain out some of the liquid). Use gluten- and grain-free tortillas or tortilla chips depending on your dietary preferences.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
2 tbsp avocado oil
1½ lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thighs or a combination, cut into strips
½ tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper, divided + additional to taste
3 large bell peppers, cut into 1-inch strips
1 large yellow onion, sliced
6 cloves garlic, minced
2–3 tsp taco seasoning (Tip: You can use a purchased brand or make your own; try our DIY Taco Seasoning recipe here.
1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 12-oz all-natural jar salsa
1. In a large pot on medium-high, heat oil. Season chicken with ¼ tsp each salt and pepper and add to pot. Cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
2. Add bell pepper and onion to pot, season with ¼ tsp each salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and beginning to caramelize, 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and taco seasoning; sauté 1 minute, until fragrant. Pour in broth and stir up any browned bits from bottom of pot.
3. Return chicken and any collected juices from plate to pot. Stir in salsa. Bring just to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered until chicken is cooked through and stew has thickened, about 30 minutes.
4. Transfer chicken pieces to a cutting board and chop or shred, then return to pot. Season with additional salt and pepper.
- Serving Size: ¼ of recipe
- Calories: 364
- Carbohydrate Content: 20 g
- Cholesterol Content: 124 mg
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 42 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 641 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 2 g