MAKE AHEAD: Prep the sauce entirely in advance. Cool completely and cover in an airtight container; reheat before serving.
Find 5 Super Bowl Snacks here!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup finely chopped jarred roasted red pepper (water packed)
- 1 28-oz can BPA-free crushed unsalted tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 1/2 lb chicken breast tenders (18 tenders) (NOTE: Alternatively, use 1½ lb of chicken breast cut into 1-inch x 3-inch strips.)
- In a medium saucepan on medium-high, heat 1½ tsp oil. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent, 2 to 4 minutes. Add carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until carrot is softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms begin to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add zucchini and red pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add tomatoes and oregano and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very soft, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Using an immersion blender, blend until completely smooth. Cover to keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. In a shallow pan, combine flour, pepper and salt. In a second shallow pan, whisk eggs with 1 tbsp water. In a third shallow pan, combine bread crumbs and dill.
- Dredge 1 chicken tender through flour and shake off excess; dredge through egg mixture, allowing excess to drip back into pan; dredge through bread crumb mixture and place on 1 prepared sheet. Repeat with remaining chicken. Discard remaining flour, egg and bread crumbs.
- In a large skillet on medium-high, heat 2½ tsp oil. Add one-third of chicken tenders and cook, flipping once, until just golden brown on each side, about 1½ minutes total. Transfer to second prepared sheet. Repeat with remaining 2 batches, adding remaining oil 2½ tsp at a time, until all chicken has been browned.
- Bake chicken until no longer pink inside, about 5 to 7 minutes. Serve warm with dipping sauce.
- Serving Size: 1 chicken finger and 1.5 T sauce
- Calories: 107
- Carbohydrate Content: 8 g
- Cholesterol Content: 42 mg
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 89 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g