Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Nutritional Bonus: Thanks to the chicken breast, you’ll get 31 gram of lean, filling protein in every low-calorie serving of fricassee. In addition, this dish boosts your day’s intake of selenium, which forms cell-repairing antioxidant enzymes when combined with protein. And, if that’s not enough, you’ll also satisfy almost 80% of your daily requirement for niacin, a B vitamin that helps the body convert carbohydrates into energy.
Tarragon is aromatic and slightly sweet with the strong zip of anise. It goes well with poultry and strongly flavored seafood such as tuna, salmon and swordfish.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet on medium-high. Add leek and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid released from vegetables has evaporated. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add garlic and cook until mushrooms are lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, transfer mixture to a bowl and set aside. Wipe skillet with paper towel.
- Add flour to a shallow bowl or pie plate. Pat chicken dry with paper towel and season both sides with salt and pepper. Add remaining 2 tsp oil to skillet and heat on medium-high. Thoroughly coat chicken breasts with flour and place directly in skillet. Cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes per side, then add broth and 2 tbsp tarragon. When liquid bubbles, reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Turn chicken and simmer until cooked through, 3 to 4 more minutes. Transfer chicken to each of 4 plates.
- With broth still simmering, return mushroom mixture to skillet. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes to allow flavors to meld. Stir in vinegar and remove skillet from heat. Spoon mushroom mixture and broth over chicken breasts, dividing evenly. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tbsp tarragon and serve.
- Serving Size 1 chicken breast and 1/2 mushroom mixture
- Calories 225
- Carbohydrate Content 12 g
- Cholesterol Content 66 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 31 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 134 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g