Learn about common Thai ingredients and how to use them.
Fried rice in Thailand is made with cold leftover white jasmine rice, but I prefer the flavor and fiber of short-grain brown rice. The combination of sweet, fresh pineapple, salty fish sauce and spicy chile sauce is typical of Thai dishes. Leftovers are great for breakfast the next day with a fried egg on top.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 cups short-grain brown rice
- 2 tbsp minced lemongrass
- 4 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp sriracha
- 8 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, divided
- 2 tbsp minced fresh cilantro stems
- 4 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 cups sliced green beans (1-inch slices)
- 1 cup stemmed and thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup peeled and chopped fresh pineapple (½-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 cup loosely packed torn fresh Thai basil
- In a medium saucepan, bring rice, lemongrass and 4 cups water to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let rest, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Transfer rice to a rimmed baking sheet and refrigerate until cool to the touch, about 1 hour. (Note: Don’t skip the cooling step; using hot rice in the recipe will cause it to become overcooked and sticky.)
- In a small bowl, combine fish sauce, soy sauce and sriracha; set aside. Toss chicken with pepper. In a wok or large skillet on high, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add chicken and stir-fry until cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- In same wok on medium-high, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add cilantro stems and garlic and stir-fry for 20 seconds.
- Add beans and mushrooms and stir-fry until beans are crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Push to the side of the wok.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp oil to empty side of wok and add rice. Cook for 30 seconds without stirring to sear the rice slightly, and then stir-fry everything together for 30 seconds.
- Add chicken, pineapple, tomato, onions and fish sauce mixture and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Remove wok from heat, add basil and toss once to combine.
- Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups
- Calories: 346
- Carbohydrate Content: 56 g
- Cholesterol Content: 28 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 382 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 2 g