Chicken Fried Rice with Pineapple
The combination of sweet, fresh pineapple, salty fish sauce and spicy chile sauce is typical of Thai dishes.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Learn about common Thai ingredients and how to use them.
Fried rice in Thailand is made with cold leftover white jasmine rice, but I prefer the flavor and fiber of short-grain brown rice. The combination of sweet, fresh pineapple, salty fish sauce and spicy chile sauce is typical of Thai dishes. Leftovers are great for breakfast the next day with a fried egg on top.
- 2 cups short-grain brown rice
- 2 tbsp minced lemongrass
- 4 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp sriracha
- 8 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, divided
- 2 tbsp minced fresh cilantro stems
- 4 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 cups sliced green beans (1-inch slices)
- 1 cup stemmed and thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup peeled and chopped fresh pineapple (½-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 cup loosely packed torn fresh Thai basil
- In a medium saucepan, bring rice, lemongrass and 4 cups water to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let rest, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Transfer rice to a rimmed baking sheet and refrigerate until cool to the touch, about 1 hour. (Note: Don’t skip the cooling step; using hot rice in the recipe will cause it to become overcooked and sticky.)
- In a small bowl, combine fish sauce, soy sauce and sriracha; set aside. Toss chicken with pepper. In a wok or large skillet on high, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add chicken and stir-fry until cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- In same wok on medium-high, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add cilantro stems and garlic and stir-fry for 20 seconds.
- Add beans and mushrooms and stir-fry until beans are crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Push to the side of the wok.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp oil to empty side of wok and add rice. Cook for 30 seconds without stirring to sear the rice slightly, and then stir-fry everything together for 30 seconds.
- Add chicken, pineapple, tomato, onions and fish sauce mixture and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Remove wok from heat, add basil and toss once to combine.
- Serving Size 1 1/4 cups
- Calories 346
- Carbohydrate Content 56 g
- Cholesterol Content 28 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 382 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g