For a more authentic laksa, make our Homemade Laksa Paste.
Note: If making our Homemade Laksa Paste from scratch, you can omit the coriander, lemongrass and fish sauce in the soup recipe.
- Prep Time
¼ cup avocado oil, divided
1 cup snow peas (about 3 oz), cut into ½-inch pieces
3 heads baby bok choy (about 12 oz total), chopped
1/2 tsp + 1/8 tsp sea salt, divided
1 serrano chile, thinly sliced
2½ tbsp Homemade Laksa Paste or all-natural red curry paste
2 tsp ground coriander
1 14-oz BPA-free can full-fat coconut milk, divided
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 tbsp coconut aminos or reduced-sodium tamari
2 tsp fish sauce + additional to taste
2 stalks lemongrass, trimmed, tough outer portion removed, stalks rolled over with a rolling pin to bruise
2 tsp sriracha sauce
½ tsp raw honey
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
6 oz brown rice vermicelli
1 Persian cucumber, cut into thin strips
¼ cup bean sprouts
1 green onion, white and light green parts only, thinly slice
Fresh mint, Thai basil and lime wedges, for serving, optional
1. In a large saucepan on medium-high, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add snow peas, bok choy and 1/8 tsp salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender and bright green and bok choy leaves have wilted, 2 to 3 minutes; transfer to a bowl. Heat remaining 3 tbsp oil in saucepan. Add chile; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add paste and coriander; cook, stirring, 1 minute longer, until fragrant. Pour in half of coconut milk and whisk to incorporate curry mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is reduced by abut half, 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Stir in remaining coconut milk, broth, coconut aminos, fish sauce, lemongrass, sriracha and honey; bring to a boil and add chicken. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring once or twice.
3. Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Divide among 4 bowls.
4. Stir reserved snow pea-bok choy mixture into soup. Season with remaining ½ tsp salt and additional fish sauce (if using). Remove lemongrass stalks.
5. Ladle soup on top of noodles. Top each bowl with one-fourth of cucumber, bean sprouts and green onion. If using, garnish with mint and basil; serve with lime wedges.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 701
- Carbohydrate Content: 48 g
- Cholesterol Content: 108 mg
- Fat Content: 43 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 34 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 22 g
- Sodium Content: 954 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 14 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 4 g