Nutrient-Dense Autumn Medley
Kale is loaded with protective compounds such as sulforaphane, which has been shown to aid in fighting the formation of cancer at the molecular level. The lentils in this dish contain a diverse list of nutrients, including thiamine and niacin, which both aid in turning macronutrients into energy, and manganese, a mineral that supports bone health and is needed for optimal wound healing.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- Prep Time
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided (TRY: California Olive Ranch Reserve Miller’s Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tsp curry powder (TRY: Simply Organic Curry Powder)
- 2 tsp peeled and minced ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp raw honey (TRY: Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Raw Honey)
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Black Pepper)
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, chopped (about 6 cups)
- 1 2-lb cooked rotisserie chicken, meat removed and shredded (about 3 cups)
- 1 14-oz BPA-free can green lentils, drained and rinsed (or about 11/2 cups cooked lentils)
- 1 red apple, cored and sliced
- 1/3 cup raw unsalted cashews, toasted
1. Make dressing: In a small skillet, heat 1 or 2 large spoonfuls of the oil on medium. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until soft and translucent, 6 to 8 minutes. Add curry powder, ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, until ginger is softened and fragrant, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in remaining oil, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper.
2. Make salad: Place kale in a large bowl and add about one-third of the dressing. Using fingers, massage kale until starting to soften, about 2 minutes. Add chicken, lentils and remaining dressing and toss to coat. Garnish with apple and cashews.
Make Ahead: Cover and refrigerate assembled salad for up to 3 days. Alternatively, make dressing up to 3 days ahead and store in an airtight container in the fridge. Prep kale up to 3 days ahead and refrigerate in an airtight container. Toast cashews up to 5 days ahead and store in an airtight container.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 356
- Carbohydrate Content: 25 g
- Cholesterol Content: 35 mg
- Fat Content: 25 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 442 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 15 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 4 g