Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
You can serve this rich and flavorful braised chicken paprikash recipe traditionally over dumplings or noodles, but it’s also good served over mashed butternut squash, roasted root vegetables or grains such as brown rice or farro. Once you’ve mastered this dish with chicken, try it with pork, beef or lamb.
- In a shallow bowl, combine flour, 1 tsp paprika and salt.
- In a large skillet, heat oil on medium-high. Dredge chicken in flour mixture, turning to coat and shaking off excess. Add chicken smooth side down to skillet. Cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn and cook other side until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from skillet.
- Keep skillet on medium-high heat and add onion and bell pepper. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, remaining 3 tsp paprika and cayenne, if desired. Cook, stirring, until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth, scraping up browned bits from bottom of skillet. Return chicken and any juices to skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are very tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken from skillet and divide among serving plates. In a small bowl, whisk about 2 tbsp pan juices and yogurt. Add yogurt mixture to skillet, stirring to coat onion mixture. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring until thick and smooth. Spoon over top of chicken and top with dill.
- Serving Size 1 chicken breast and 2/3 c vegetable mixture
- Calories 298
- Carbohydrate Content 12 g
- Cholesterol Content 99 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 46 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 388 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g