Serve this rich and flavorful Chicken Paprikash recipe traditionally over dumplings or noodles, or try it over mashed butternut squash.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
You can serve this rich and flavorful braised chicken paprikash recipe traditionally over dumplings or noodles, but it’s also good served over mashed butternut squash, roasted root vegetables or grains such as brown rice or farro. Once you’ve mastered this dish with chicken, try it with pork, beef or lamb.
- 2 tbsp white whole-wheat flour
- 4 tsp sweet paprika, divided
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 6-oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper, optional
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp chopped fresh dill
- In a shallow bowl, combine flour, 1 tsp paprika and salt.
- In a large skillet, heat oil on medium-high. Dredge chicken in flour mixture, turning to coat and shaking off excess. Add chicken smooth side down to skillet. Cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn and cook other side until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from skillet.
- Keep skillet on medium-high heat and add onion and bell pepper. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, remaining 3 tsp paprika and cayenne, if desired. Cook, stirring, until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth, scraping up browned bits from bottom of skillet. Return chicken and any juices to skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are very tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken from skillet and divide among serving plates. In a small bowl, whisk about 2 tbsp pan juices and yogurt. Add yogurt mixture to skillet, stirring to coat onion mixture. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring until thick and smooth. Spoon over top of chicken and top with dill.
- Serving Size 1 chicken breast and 2/3 c vegetable mixture
- Calories 298
- Carbohydrate Content 12 g
- Cholesterol Content 99 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 46 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 388 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g