Chicken Piccata with Lemon Butter Sauce & Garlic-Sauteed Broccoli
This classic Italian dish blends salty, buttery and tart flavors in one quick and easy meal. Traditionally, chicken piccata is breaded, but we’ve cut the carbs (and saved you a step!) by simply tossing the seared breasts in a creamy citrus butter sauce.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Find more chicken recipes here!
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken cutlets,
- patted dry
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp safflower oil, divided
- 6 large cloves garlic, crushed, divided
- 4 cups chopped broccoli florets (NOTE:Cut into 1-inch florets.)
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1¼ tsp arrowroot powder
- 1 large shallot, minced
- Juice of 2 oranges
- Juice of 1/2 large lemon
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 tbsp organic unsalted butter
- Season chicken with 1/4 tsp salt and black pepper. In a large skillet, heat 2 tsp oil on medium-high. Add 3 cloves garlic and sauté, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add chicken and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove chicken and garlic from skillet and cover to keep warm; set skillet aside.
- In a separate medium nonstick skillet, heat remaining 1 tsp oil on medium. Add remaining 3 cloves garlic and sauté, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broccoli, 1/8 tsp salt and pepper flakes and sauté until broccoli is bright green, about 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and add 2 tbsp water. Simmer until broccoli is tender-crisp, about 3 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk 2 tbsp broth and arrowroot powder until smooth; set aside. Return large skillet to medium-high heat. Add shallot and sauté, stirring often, for 1 minute. Add remaining 6 tbsp broth, orange juice, lemon juice, capers and remaining 1/8 tsp salt and simmer, stirring up browned bits from bottom, for 1 minute. Whisk in arrowroot mixture and butter and cook, stirring, until butter melts. Return chicken to skillet, turning to coat. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until sauce thickens and chicken is cooked through, about 3 more minutes.
- Divide chicken among serving plates and top with sauce. Serve with broccoli.
- Serving Size 3 oz chicken with sauce and 1/4 of broccoli
- Calories 302
- Carbohydrate Content 18 g
- Cholesterol Content 108 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 33 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 567 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 62 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g