Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- To a 5-qt slow cooker, add chicken and season with dried thyme, pepper and 1/2 tsp salt, tossing to coat. Add potatoes, carrots and celery.
- Prepare sauce: In a large saucepan on medium-high, melt 2 tbsp butter. Add leeks and cook, stirring constantly until slightly softened, about 1 minute. Add 2 tbsp flour and cook, stirring constantly until golden, about 1 minute. Whisk in broth and cook, stirring constantly until slightly thickened, about 1 minute more. Add sauce to slow cooker, stirring to evenly distribute. Cover and cook on low for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours, or until potatoes are tender and chicken is no longer pink inside. (NOTE: Check chicken and potatoes after 3½ hours, and if chicken is still pink inside, cook for 1 more hour.)
- Remove chicken breasts and place on a large cutting board; shred using 2 forks. Return chicken to slow cooker and add peas. In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup milk and potato starch until no lumps remain. Add to slow cooker and stir to distribute evenly. Replace lid and continue cooking for 30 minutes more.
- Just after adding milk mixture to slow cooker, prepare biscuits: Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a food processor fitted with a steel blade, pulse 1½ cups flour, baking powder and ¼ tsp salt until well combined. Add 1/4 cup chilled butter and pulse until a fine crumb is formed, about 10 pulses. Through the feed tube of processor, stream in 1/2 cup milk and process until a ball of dough forms. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until no longer sticky; knead in chives. Press dough into an oval shape about the same size as the surface of your slow-cooker lid, about 1/4-inch thick. Cut dough into 8 equal parts and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake until golden, 15 to 18 minutes. Top each serving of chicken mixture with 1 biscuit. Garnish with fresh thyme.
- Serving Size 1 cup chicken mixture and 1 biscuit
- Calories 387
- Carbohydrate Content 40 g
- Cholesterol Content 88 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 27 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 434 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g