Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Nutritional Bonus: Eggplant possesses antioxidant properties thanks to the anthocyanins and nasunin found in the nightshade vegetable’s skin.
- Preheat grill to medium-high and lightly coat grill basket with cooking spray. Lightly brush both sides of eggplant and onion with oil, then place in grill basket. Cook vegetables until brown and tender, about 6 minutes per side. Transfer vegetables to a cutting board.
- Place sausages in grill basket. (TIP: It’s best to cook these dogs in your grill basket as smaller links may fall through grill.) Cook according to package directions. Gently open buns, but do not split in half. Grill buns briefly on each side while sausages cook for final 2 minutes.
- Finely chop eggplant and onion and place in a medium bowl with olives, basil, garlic and vinegar.
- To serve, place 1 sausage in each bun and spoon equal amounts of vegetable mixture over top of each. Sprinkle with additional basil, if desired.
- Serving Size 1 bun, 1 chicken sausage, 1 cup eggplant caponata
- Calories 288
- Carbohydrate Content 27 g
- Cholesterol Content 70 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 670 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1.5 g