Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Find our favorite winter soups and stews here!
- To a medium saucepan, add cannellini beans, 4 cups water and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until tender, about 45 minutes. Drain; discard bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, prepare pesto: In a blender or with a mortar and pestle, pulse or pound basil, garlic, cheese and lemon juice. Drizzle in 4 tsp oil and process until smooth; add 1 to 2 tsp water as needed to reach desired consistency.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat remaining 1 tsp oil on medium-high. Add onion and carrot and sauté, stirring often, until tender, about 3 minutes. Add potato, tomato, green beans, tomato paste, broth, salt, pepper and thyme. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until potato is just tender, about 6 minutes. Add cannellini beans, chicken and zucchini and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Divide soup among serving bowls and swirl in pesto.
- Serving Size 2 cups soup and 1 tbsp pesto
- Calories 203
- Carbohydrate Content 22 g
- Cholesterol Content 30 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 492 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 1 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g