- Arrange a rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Meanwhile, in a large Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid, heat oil on medium high. Season chicken with salt, pepper, 1/4 tsp sage and thyme. Working in batches if necessary, sear chicken, skin side down first, for about 4 minutes per side, until golden brown. Transfer chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm. Reduce heat to medium.
- To Dutch oven, add shallots, celery and remaining 1/4 tsp sage. Cook, stirring frequently until softened, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly for 30 seconds. Add broth and 1/2 cup water, and stir, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pot. Bring to a simmer, then add rice and half-and-half (if using). Return chicken and any juices to pot, then cover and bake until rice is tender and chicken is no longer pink inside, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Serving Size 1 chicken breast and 1/4 of rice mixture
- Calories 394
- Carbohydrate Content 28 g
- Cholesterol Content 87 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 34 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 242 mg
- Sugar Content 16 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g