In a spice grinder or clean coffee grinder, grind 1 tbsp fennel seeds and 4 tbsp coriander seeds. Store any leftovers in a clean glass jar. Try adding it to your favorite dishes or save it for the next time you make this savory meal. It will stay fresh for several months.
- Prep Time
1 tbsp olive oil, divided
4 4-oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
1 large fennel bulb, roughly chopped
1 large onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 medium tomatoes, diced
¼ packed cup unsweetened raisins
2 tbsp chopped capers
¼ cup red wine vinegar
2 tsp Coriander-Fennel Spice (see recipe)
1 tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 lb broccoli florets
8 unsalted almonds, chopped
Fresh oregano for garnish, optional
1. In a large skillet, heat 1 tsp oil on medium high. Add chicken and cook until browned and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Remove chicken, cover with foil and set aside.
2. Add remaining 2 tsp oil to skillet. Add fennel, onion and garlic and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until lightly browned. Stir in tomatoes, raisins, capers, vinegar, Coriander-Fennel Spice, dried oregano, black pepper and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Add chicken to skillet and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, bring a 4-qt pot of water to a boil. Add broccoli, reduce heat to a slow boil and cook until al dente or until tender, about 2 to 4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
4. Divide chicken, fennel mixture and broccoli among 4 serving plates. Sprinkle with almonds, dividing evenly. If desired, garnish with fresh oregano.
- Serving Size: 1 chicken breast, 1 cup fennel mixture, 1½ cups broccoli
- Calories: 277
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Cholesterol Content: 66 mg
- Fat Content: 4.5 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 34 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 315 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1 g