Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
In a spice grinder or clean coffee grinder, grind 1 tbsp fennel seeds and 4 tbsp coriander seeds. Store any leftovers in a clean glass jar. Try adding it to your favorite dishes or save it for the next time you make this savory meal. It will stay fresh for several months.
1. In a large skillet, heat 1 tsp oil on medium high. Add chicken and cook until browned and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Remove chicken, cover with foil and set aside.
2. Add remaining 2 tsp oil to skillet. Add fennel, onion and garlic and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until lightly browned. Stir in tomatoes, raisins, capers, vinegar, Coriander-Fennel Spice, dried oregano, black pepper and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Add chicken to skillet and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, bring a 4-qt pot of water to a boil. Add broccoli, reduce heat to a slow boil and cook until al dente or until tender, about 2 to 4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
4. Divide chicken, fennel mixture and broccoli among 4 serving plates. Sprinkle with almonds, dividing evenly. If desired, garnish with fresh oregano.
- Serving Size 1 chicken breast, 1 cup fennel mixture, 1½ cups broccoli
- Calories 277
- Carbohydrate Content 30 g
- Cholesterol Content 66 mg
- Fat Content 4.5 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 34 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 315 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 2 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g