Getting Creative with Cashews
This nutty, creamy sauce is shockingly healthy. It gets its luxurious consistency from fatty cashews, one of our favorite types of nuts here at CE. Like other tree nuts, cashews are rich in antioxidants like polyphenols and carotenoids, which play a role in protecting cells from oxidative damage. Remember to soak the cashews ahead of time (about 30 minutes) before getting started on this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and mist with cooking spray.
- Prepare flatbread: In a large bowl, mix chickpea flour and water until well combined. Add garlic and salt. (NOTE: Batter may appear wet but will firm up as it bakes.)
- Pour batter onto prepared baking sheet; use a spatula to spread into a 14 x 9-inch rectangle. Bake 15 minutes, or until edges begin to brown. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, make sauce: To a high-speed blender or food processor, add all ingredients. Blend on high until smooth and creamy, adding more water if needed for a thinner consistency.
- In a large bowl, toss together mushrooms, bell peppers, oil, salt and pepper. Spread sauce evenly over flatbread then top with veggies.
- Return flatbread to oven and bake, 8 to 10 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften. Sprinkle with basil.
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 415
- Carbohydrate Content 39 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 22 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 642 mg
- Sugar Content 8.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 12 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g