Chickpea Nuggets with Avonnaise Dip
These vegetarian nuggets substitute chickpeas for chicken.
- 1 15-oz BPA-free can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp each dried oregano, onion powder, sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup quinoa flakes
- 2 avocados, peeled and pitted
- ½ tbsp lemon juice or lime juice
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare nuggets: In a food processor, pulse chickpeas, garlic, oil, oregano, onion powder, salt and pepper until mixture comes together. Transfer mixture to a bowl, add egg and mix well. Rinse out the food processor.
- Place quinoa flakes in a shallow bowl. Using a small ice cream scoop or tablespoon, scoop out one portion of chickpea mixture. Using hands, form into a ball and press into a nugget shape. Press both sides of nugget into quinoa flakes and place on prepared sheet; repeat, making about 12 nuggets.
- Mist nuggets with cooking spray. Bake for 15 to 30 minutes or until golden. Flip and bake for 5 minutes more, until golden and firm to the touch.
- Prepare dip: To food processor, add avocado, lemon juice and salt. Process until smooth, gradually drizzling in olive oil. Serve dip with nuggets.
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 484
- Carbohydrate Content 34 g
- Cholesterol Content 46.5 mg
- Fat Content 36 g
- Fiber Content 12 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 647 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 25 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 5 g