Nutritional Bonus: Often used in Middle Eastern cooking and baking, chickpea (aka garbanzo bean) flour contains soluble fiber, which binds with fatty acids and ha been found to help lower LDL (bad) cholesterol as well as regulate blood sugar by encouraging steady, slow-burning energy to be released to the body.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup chickpea flour (or garbanzo bean flour)
- 5 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 cup canned or cooked cannellini beans or white kidney beans, drained and rinsed (TIP: Opt for BPA-free cans.)
- 2 tsp chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, plus additional to taste, divided
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Prepare pancake: Pour 1 1/3 cups water into a medium bowl. Add flour to bowl slowly, whisking in until smooth. Allow mixture to stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour. When hour is complete, stir in 2 tbsp oil and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Heat a 10-inch cast iron or oven-safe heavy skillet on medium-high. Add 2 tbsp oil, pour in batter and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until edges of pancake begin to turn golden brown. Do not flip. Place skillet in oven and bake for about 25 minutes, until crisp around edges and light golden brown. Slide pancake onto a cutting board and slice into 8 equal wedges.
- Meanwhile, prepare tapenade: In the bowl of a 4-cup food processor, place beans, remaining 1 tbsp oil, 3 tbsp water, basil and garlic and purée until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Scrape mixture into a sealable container, cover and set aside until needed. (Mixture can be stored for 1 to 2 days in refrigerator.)
- To serve, spread 1 tbsp bean purée onto each pancake wedge. Garnish with additional basil leaves, if desired. Eat as you would a slice of pizza – with your hands!
- Serving Size: 2-in pancake wedge and 1 T bean puree
- Calories: 149
- Carbohydrate Content: 11 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 32 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1 g