Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Find more quick and easy vegetarian recipes here!
Love exotic chickpea dishes? Try this chickpea salad, too!
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil on medium. Add onion and sauté, stirring often, until beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and sauté for 30 seconds. Add tomato paste, paprika, cumin, turmeric and cinnamon and sauté, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds.
- Add broth, sweet potato, carrot, cauliflower, squash, salt, black pepper and cayenne. Partially cover, bring to a simmer and cook until squash and sweet potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Add chickpeas and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- In a small heat-proof bowl, add couscous. Remove 1¼ cups cooking liquid from chickpea mixture and pour over couscous. Cover with a plate and let stand for 5 minutes. Add cilantro and fluff with a fork. Serve tagine with or over couscous.
- Serving Size 1 1/4 cups tagine and 1/2 cup coucous
- Calories 337
- Carbohydrate Content 62 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 12 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 550 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0.5 g