Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
1. In a large pot, bring stock to a boil. Slowly pour in cornmeal, stirring continuously. Once cornmeal is bubbling, reduce heat to low. Add pepper flakes, garlic and salt.
2. Stir polenta every couple of minutes for 30 to 45 minutes, until tender and pulling away from sides of pot.
3. Oil an 8-inch square baking pan with straight sides. Discard garlic clove and pour polenta into pan. Transfer polenta into pan, using a spatula to smooth it into corners. Cover top of polenta with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cool.
4. Preheat oven to 425°F. Meanwhile, carefully turn polenta onto a cutting board and cut into 1 x 3-inch sticks. Arrange on a large, parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with cheese; bake for 15 to 20 minutes until cheese is bubbling and golden and edges are browning.
- Serving Size 3/4 cup
- Calories 182
- Carbohydrate Content 21 g
- Cholesterol Content 18 mg
- Fat Content 1 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 481 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g