Chile Chocolate Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting
We’ve captured the fragrant flavors of Mexican hot chocolate and baked them right into these decadent cupcakes. They’re gluten-free, grain-free and free of all refined sugars – so you can indulge without guilt!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Get more dessert recipes here.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup unsalted creamy almond butter
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract (TRY: Simply Organic Vanilla Extract)
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp each ground nutmeg and ginger
- 1/4 tsp sea salt and ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) organic unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp plain unsweetened almond or coconut milk
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F. In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Stir in almond butter and 2 tsp vanilla and mix until well combined. In a medium bowl, mix together ¾ cup coconut sugar, cocoa powder, 1 tsp cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, ginger, salt and cayenne. Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until well combined. Line 8 muffin tins with baking cups and fill three-quarters full with batter. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Set aside to cool completely in pan.
- In a blender, blend ½ cup coconut sugar on high for about 1 minute, until mostly powdery. Using a stand mixer or a hand mixer, beat butter and powdered coconut sugar on low until combined, then beat on high until light and airy, about 4 minutes. Stir in milk, 2 tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp vanilla and beat on high for 1 minute more. Spread buttercream over cooled cupcakes.
- Calories 0
- Carbohydrate Content 0 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 0 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 0 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 0 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g